Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Week three

Still battling on at First magazine. After an extremely busy and exciting week at the Surrey Mirror, it has been a bit of shock. So far my tasks have been a little on the dull side. I was really looking forward to a week's experience at a celebrity magazine, but I have come to realise that while it's fun to read them from time to time (ok, a lot of the time), living, working and breathing gossip can take its toll. I have generally been doing admin work, press releases and research. I am grateful to have the experience and I understand that everyone has to start at the bottom, but I honestly don't see a lot of what happens here as journalism. Everything revolves around PR. Sadly, I still enjoy reading these kind of magazines, but something tells me I'm not cut out for a career on one of them.
Still, I have managed to use my frustration to do some excellent filing. So it's not all bad.
On a happier note, one of my articles for the Surrey Mirror, made the front page, with my first byline!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Yeeey Mary-Ann, that's ace that you got a front page, well done you! What was it on?

I have a feeling that I wouldn't like working at one of those magazines too much either. But hey, at least you know what you don't want to do, I guess that that's what work experience is all about, a process of elimination perhaps?

5:22 pm  
Blogger Rosalind said...

yay - well done!

5:37 pm  
Blogger Alexis said...

Unlucky with the admin. Be careful with gossip - I'm convinced it actually kills brain cells over an extended period.

To delete comments - sign in, go to 'edit posts' and select comments - it should give you a list of all the comments, then choose 'delete permanently' or whatever it is..and they shall be gone. I have done it on my backtothemachinegun blog.

11:37 am  
Blogger Mary-Ann said...

Thanks guys.
Alexis: I still can't do it. I'm sure it's very simple, but I can't find anything that lets me edit posts.
x

12:56 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

Well done Mary ann! Looking forward to seeing everyone next week..

12:09 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

Well done Mary ann! Looking forward to seeing everyone next week..

12:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home