Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I'm all ears


Following from Emma's post i am really beginning to wonder whether I will be able to become the kind of journalist I aspire to be. Journalism is not a career, but a life choice. Being truly committed means living and breathing everything news, every minute of the day. This takes some getting used to after years of being a student "for the sake of it".

On the one hand journalism is a buisness just like any other. We are dealing with the selling of information. But, journalists have a responsiblilty. We are dealing with a precious comodity and without strong morals, the truth can become distorted. Everyone has an agenda, but when your words are read, I believe you have a responsbilty to 1. have a clear opinion and 2. be balanced.

I recently read on another blog that people want to talk to journalists. I completely agree. People want to tell their story and it is our job to listen. That is what we are there to do. Tell a story to the best of our ablity.

I spent my evening trying to explain British newspapers' agendas and stances to a friend and it got me thinking. Trainee journalists are one of the most exceptional parts of this industry because they are coming into this buisness with an innocent passion and an eagerness to learn. Long may it last.

7 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Completely agree. I always learn something from your blogs! As journalism students we are incredibly lucky that our lecturers have immersed us in journalism - even off the record conversations have underlying journalistic connotations. I suppose that whether or not we make good journalists will depend ultimately on whether such complete exposure to this lifestyle fuels or extinguishes our passion for the profession.

9:31 am  
Blogger zinkydays said...

You're right about this being a really exciting and daunting time. It's great that other people are so interested in hearing about journalism though, sounds like a really fun night out. :-)

12:30 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

Isn't it weird, from being a student 'just for the sake of it' to actually having a passion for what we're doing now? It takes some getting used to. I am still blown away by the whole immensity of journalism. There are so many options for us in this world and it probably is one of the most exciting careers that there is. I completely agree with you on this!

9:47 am  
Blogger Mary-Ann said...

Thanks for your comments guys.
The past few months have been a catapult into the world of journalism. I really think that as Kathy says, our passion has been fueled!

5:00 pm  
Blogger Chris Horrie said...

This phase of the course is very 'newsy'. We are doing more magazine-type stuff next semester. It might seem news, news, news at the moment. But that's because we have structured the course to achieve maximum results - ie in consequence self-contained 'blocks', rather than haveing Monday is news; Tuesdays is features, Wednesday is page layout, etc, etc - that way produces maximum convenience for the college and the tutors, but it is nowhere near as good.

But journalism certainly is a vocation - not something you do nine to five like working in a bank. There is a very heavy toll on personal lives - at one time a lot of alcholism, burn out, paranoia, etc. And we started the whole course with Vernoica...

In terms of 'meeting journalists' do remember that all the lecturers are working journalists - and all of them are far more experienced than the people on display at 'networking' thing. As Sarah noted some of them were only in their twenties, and none had been editors...

Next semester we will have some recent graduates in to talk to you.

PS I like your style of leaving a lot of comments in peoples blogs. That's good for stitching it all together.

12:27 am  
Blogger David Heathfield said...

God if I could have my time again, I'd cut out that three years of just being a student. I think I've got more out of this course in three months than in three years of history at nottingham.

10:16 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

I've found friends are genuninely interested in hearing about media related things that i've learned on this course...
I can't return the favour when they start talking about recruitment. Although, sadly this is reflected in the wages of the respective professions! I'd rather have it our way round though- every time.

8:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home